How To Connect Landline Phone To WiFi Router (Step By Step)
Most people know that it’s important to stay connected to the internet.
Whether you’re a student, a working professional, or just need to stay up-to-date on the news, having an always-on connection is a must.
Sometimes though, Wifi or high-speed broadband may not be available to you, the choice, then, is to access the internet through a router and your landline phone.
How To Connect A Landline Phone To A WiFi Router?
You will need a few items to get started – two Ethernet cables, a phone cord, and of course, your wifi router. Turn off the Wifi router before getting started.
1) Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the LAN port on your wifi router. This is the port that is typically located in the back of the router.
2) Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into the modem’s Ethernet port.
3) Connect one end of the SECOND Ethernet wire to your router’s additional LAN port and the other end to your PC’s Ethernet Port.
4) Connect one end of the analog home phone cord to your router (it goes into the ‘Phone 1’ or ‘TEL 1’ port) and the other is for the landline itself.
5) Now that you’re all connected, it’s time to turn on both your PC and your WiFi router – a blinking WiFi signal on your router means it’s stabilizing the connection, and a constant green light means the connection is established and stable.
6) Open your web browser and connect to any website. If the site loads properly, you are connected.
If it shows a ‘cannot connect to the internet’ message (or similar), repeat steps 1-5 again.
Read our related article on How to Get Better WiFi Signal From Neighbors (with their permission, of course!)
How To Connect Landline Phone To A Modem
Although a very straightforward process, it differs slightly from modem to modem (depending on the company).
1. Connect Landline To KPN Modem (Experia Box)
A KPN modem usually comes with a green phone adapter port for the phone line.
- First check if your modem has an active internet connection. If not, establish the connection first.
- Plug one end of your phone cord into the green port on the underside of the KPN modem and the other end into the base station.
- Check for a dial-tone (and if you have phone service), dial a 10-digit number
- Your phone is connected to the modem successfully (one the dialing is successful).
2. Connect Landline To Ziggo Modem
Ziggo usually provides an Arris modem, which has 8 ports in the back. 2 phone ports and 4 (yellow) Ethernet ports, 1 coaxial and 1 power port.
- Insert the phone cable into the ‘TEL 1’ port on the Ziggo modem and the other end into the base station.
- A green light will turn on, on the Ziggo modem phone port.
- Check the dial tone on your phone. If it’s active, your connection was successful.
Read More: Netgear c7000 vs c6300. We compare the c7000 and the c630 router to help you make the right choice for your needs!
Things To Know Before Connecting Your WiFi Router And Landline
Routers connect to the internet either with a cable connection (Xfinity) or through DSL (Frontier).
A number of companies (like AT&T) offer Fiber optic connections as well (these don’t require any cables) and are much faster than the landline option
Whichever router you choose will require a slightly different process to connect to the internet.
Cable connections are usually faster than a DSL connection.
Xfinity, Spectrum and Cox all provide high speed internet cable options which range from speeds of 10 Mbps to 1000 Mbps (depending on the pricing plan).
Earthlink, CenturyLink and Frontier offer DSL options that go from 3 Mbps to 115 Mbps.
If you require higher speed (for example for online gaming, heavy uploads and continuous streaming), go with a cable connection.
If you have normal usage, DSL may be a cheaper option.
For more information, please see High Speed Internet
Do You Need A Router If You Have A Modem?
You will require both if you want to connect multiple devices to the internet.
You can also choose to buy a modem-router combination (i.e one device with two functions).
Do Modems Give Off Wi-Fi?
Modems serve as a bridge between the router and the landline i.e it gives access to the internet.
It does not give Wifi signals – for that you’ll need a router.
Will My Router Work With Any Modem?
The internet service provider may specify which router will work with your particular modem – ISP’s sometimes also provide branded (company-owned) routers when your modem only works with such routers – or if you need to get a router or a router + modem combination.
Do I Need A Phone Cord To Be Able To Connect To The Internet?
If you have a cable modem, then you don’t need a phone cord.
Here’s how to connect to the internet with a cable modem:
- Insert one end of the coax cable into the coax outlet (it’s the same as your TV’s main wire).
- Connect the other end into your cable modem
- Insert one end of the Ethernet cable in your PC and the other end in your cable modem.
- Connect the power cord to your cable modem and wall power outlet.
- Turn on the cable modem and once the blinking lights stabilize, you will have an established internet connection.
- Open your web browser and navigate to any website to see if it works properly.